Frequently Asked Questions for Frameless Glass Shower Doors
Questions about Our Process
1. Why choose Frameless Glass Shower Doors?
You’ve seen them on all the home design and remodeling shows, and with good reason! Frameless Glass Shower doors are the easiest way to upgrade your bathroom for an elegant, luxurious, and contemporary look. They are perfect for showcasing your tile design and making your bathrooms feel larger and more open. US GLASS SHOWER DOOR is one of the most reputable companies offering high-quality glass that fits your custom-design.
2. What’s the process for getting a new Frameless Shower Door with US GLASS SHOWER DOOR?
Once you have decided you’d like to learn more about Frameless Glass Shower Doors or any of the other glass services we offer, we will go through a simple but comprehensive process to deliver the best of your dreams and keep you apprised every step of the way:
- Consultation and Measurements: A US GLASS sales consultant will meet with you to discuss your ideas, see the space, and show you a range of options to decide what best suites your needs. They can consult on trends, costs, and pros and cons of all options. You will go over customization options such as type of glass, hardware, and finishing, and decide on the overall design for your bathroom and Frameless Glass Shower Door and take preliminary measurements of your space to prepare a CAD image and a detailed estimate for your project. If US GLASS will be providing more than just the Frameless Glass Shower Doors (i.e. bathroom remodel, tile installation, removal of old tubs/showers, etc.) the estimate will be based on preliminary anticipated costs and measurements. Final, updated measurements will be taken for the Glass Shower Doors ponce the tile and the rest of the bathroom is completed to ensure perfect fit. (1-3 business days)
- Review and Approve Estimate: You’ll receive a comprehensive estimate detailing costs, timelines, hardware, and all specifications for your project. Take some time to review the quote and discuss any questions with your consultant. Once you approve the quote, you’ll put down a 50% deposit to be able to begin the next step.
- Manufacturing: We’ll schedule an appointment for your installation and begin fabricating, polishing and tempering your custom glass, and order all your hardware and accessories (5-10 business days)
- Installation: We’ll schedule a time with you, after all of your tile work is completed, for installation. This step can usually be done in as little as one day! Our team will inspect and clean everything before we depart. Then you get to take your first shower in the bathroom of your dreams! (usually less than 1 day for Frameless Shower Doors)
3. What’s the difference between US GLASS and our competitors?
Many things set us apart from our competitors!
- US GLASS we are specialize in many Glass service so you can get your Frameless Glass Shower Doors as well as any additional services all at one shot, saving you time and money!
- We do all our cutting, fabricating, and polishing in house which saves time and money, allowing us to pass these savings on to you.
- All of our service technicians are bonded employees, not subcontractors
- We’re flexible and creative – we will work within your timeline and budget
- Our Customer Service is second to none. You will have one consultant that will be your contact throughout the whole process to ensure your satisfaction!
4. What other services does US Glass Offer?
Full Bathrooms: US Glass is an affiliate of Construction Groups which offers full bathroom renovation and remodeling services so you can get your entire bathroom and Frameless Glass Shower Doors done in one shot, saving you hassle and money!
In addition to Frameless Shower Glass Doors, US Glass also customizes the following:
- Frameless Glass Walls
- Frameless Sliding Glass Walls
- Frameless Glass Fence
- Storefront Glass
- Glass Railings
5. Why are there such variations between quotes from different companies?
There are so many different options available for your custom Frameless Glass Shower Door, so when you are comparing quotes, one reason cost may vary is the different options and hardware being presented. At US GLASS, we invite you to get more than one quote so you feel comfortable that we are providing the best service at a fair price to you, but check out all the options below to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you do receive a competitor’s quote that is lower than ours for the same specifications, we will meet it and beat it with our price-match guarantee.
Here are some of the most common options that can cause prices to vary between quotes:
- Glass Thickness: When comparing quotes, check the thickness of the glass they are offering. 3/8″ glass and 1/2″ glass are common sizes and serve different purposes. Half-inch glass may be used when there is a glass-to-glass panel required on your shower. Or, you may choose it for its sturdiness or aesthetics.
3/8” (10mm) thick glass is the smallest thickness that can be used in frameless glass shows to assure sound, quality construction. It’s also more budget friend than half inch glass.
Premium ½” (12mm) glass offers the greatest structural integrity and durability. Being the same kind of glass that’s used for storefronts, it not only looks more impressive but also has a more substantial feel.
- Glass Type and Treatment Options: Most older Frameless Glass Shower Doors used a standard “Clear Glass”, which naturally has some iron in it, giving it a greenish tint. However, now we offer an option called Low Iron Extra Clear Glass which allows for a completely invisible, airy feel and lets the colors of your bathroom and tile stand out. We also offer a treatment option called ClearShield which makes your shower stain resistant and easier to clean (and even comes with a 10-year warranty).
- Metal Clips vs. U-channels: There are different degrees of “framelessness” when it comes to designing your Glass Shower Door. A true frameless shower is installed with 2-inch metal clips fixed directly onto glass panels at minimal intervals. There are n borders around the glass. A “Semi-Frameless” option would include less expensive u-channels which are aluminum rails that fit over the entire edge of glass panels and secure glass panels to a floor, wall or ceiling. They do not provide a completely “Frameless” appearance.
- Mounting and Door Hinges: What types of hinges are included in the quote? The two most popular types are Side mount Hinges and Pivot Hinges. See below for the benefits of each.
- Hardware Style and Finishes: There are so many options for customizing your Frameless Glass Shower Door that vary in design, material quality and price. We offer many different options for all hardware including hinges, clamps, knobs, handles, towel bars, clips and accessories. All our accessories are made from solid metal. Other companies use metal-plated or cast metal hardware that can’t compete for durability.
Now you see all the options available allowing you to customize your shower, our consultants will work with you to get the best choices for your design. And with our Price-Match Guarantee, you can be assured you’re getting the best for your budget!
6. Will the price estimate for my frameless shower door be the final project cost?
Once our technicians come out to take exact measurements for your frameless shower, your US GLASS sales consultant will provide a final price quote. Our early estimates are extremely close to the final product quote and can be used for budgeting as long as no major changes occur with the project. If you decide to make any changes or additions during the process, we will adjust the estimate and all parties will approve before any changes are made. Often during the installation, homeowners realize they have other projects that they would like US GLASS to work on. We will be happy to visit these ideas and update our quotes to reflect any additional work. Please note, however, once manufacture of your Frameless Glass Shower doors has begun, changes cannot be made to their design since all doors are completely custom.
7. CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS - What are my options when it comes to customizing my frameless glass shower?
Your bathroom and home design are unique, so your Frameless Glass Shower Door should reflect your personal style and budget. Your frameless glass shower is completely customizable to you! When designing your frameless glass shower, you have lots of options to choose from for the Shape, Glass Thickness, Door Pulls, Hinges, Towel Bars and Finishes. There are options to fit every style and budget. Your US Glass Sales associate will work with you to design the bathroom of your dreams.
8. MEASUREMENTS - What needs to be completed before you can measure my space?
If you are renovating your entire shower (or building new), the shower floor and all tilework, (not just a tile sill) must be completed before final measurements for your Shower Door can be made. If US is also doing tile installation of other bathroom renovations, preliminary measurements will be done to create the estimate and will be updated once tile work is complete. US GLASS will adjust labor and material costs based on the scope and volume of projects we are providing, so we can offer discounts if we will be providing more than just Shower Doors. Your consultant would be happy to discuss all our other home and corporate services with you to see how we can get you the best price for your projects.
9. MEASURING - How long will it take for you to measure for my frameless shower and what can I expect?
It will take one to two hours to fully measure a standard three-panel frameless glass shower. Our measurement technicians use special equipment to get exact measurements, which will then be used in our CAD software to get an accurate final quote.
10. MANUFACTURING - How long will it take to manufacture my Frameless Glass Shower Door?
Once initiated, our manufacturing process for Frameless Glass Shower Doors will be completed in 5 to 10 business days, which can vary depending on the type and treatment of glass. The process involves cutting, tempering, and polishing. When your glass is ready for installation, we will call you to schedule your installation. Your appointment can be scheduled within days, and the installation can be done in one day!
11. What is the manufacturing process for glass showers?
During the manufacturing process, we’ll receive and inspect hardware, cut glass into panels and doors and polish all glass edges. Then we’ll work on each piece of glass, making precision cuts for hardware notches, door handles, towel bars and robe hooks. Then the last step is tempering the glass to meet safety guidelines. Once tempered, shower glass cannot be cut further or it will shatter.
Because all of the glass is custom measured, designed and fabricated for your unique space, once we begin manufacturing your shower glass, no changes can be made to your order. If you do decide to change the order after this point, we will create a new estimate. We will have to charge for all previous glass work and cost, in addition to the cost of manufacturing your new shower design.
12. INSTALLATION – Why can’t I install frameless shower doors myself?
Any frameless enclosures that use more than one glass panel should always be installed by a professionally trained team of technicians. Here’s why:
- We use professional measurement equipment to make sure the glass is sized perfectly for your space. If the shower glass is fabricated with incorrect measurements, you would not be able to install it.
- Glass is tempered, so it can’t be recut if the fabricated piece of glass is not the right size. If you tried to cut/modify it, it would shatter.
- We use professional glazier’s installation tools to ensure structural soundness.
- A frameless shower that isn’t installed correctly is extremely dangerous.
- There are numerous safety codes that must be followed and the height and weight limitations of the installation hardware. Your installation technicians keep track of all these codes.
13. Why can’t I just buy a “Standard Size” Frameless Shower Door from a home improvement store? Why do I need Custom?
Standard size frameless shower door enclosures are ordered in bulk from out of the country and are square-cut. Not only do they not fit properly and look terrible, they can leave gaps which can cause leaks and expensive water damage.
All the Frameless Glass Shower Doors we offer are completely customized and fabricated to specifically fit your space and design for best functionality, durability and aesthetics.
14. How long will it take to install my frameless shower door and what can I expect?
A typical three-panel frameless shower door installation takes just 2 to 4 hours. A single frameless shower door can be installed in an hour and a half. Once it’s manufactured for you, you can get in your shower in no time!
Our installation technicians are professional, courteous and clean. Our installers are fully-credentialed employees, not subcontractors, and the company is fully licensed, bonded and insured so we know who will be working in your home.
Your installers will bring all the necessary tools and materials to get your installation done quickly and efficiently.
We treat your home with the utmost care. For glass shower door installation this includes wearing booties and laying down protective floor covering. After your frameless shower door installation, our technicians will inspect all the joints and functionality and clean up before leaving.
15. Will US GLASS remove my existing shower to install my frameless shower upgrade?
Absolutely! US GLASS is a fully bonded and licensed glass company so we can take care of removing and disposing of any existing shower, tub or panels before installing your new frameless shower. There will be an additional fee for removing and disposing of your old shower doors. We can also remove or install shower trays or bathtubs. Most other glass companies do not offer this, however because we offer full renovation services we can include this in your quote of services.
16. WARRANTY - What kind of warranty comes with my new frameless glass shower?
US GLASS offers a 10 years warranty on all Parts and service on all of our work including Frameless Glass Shower Doors.
Questions about Our Products
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which Frame Finishes are Currently Most Popular?
Brushed nickel, oil rubbed bronze, and satin nickel finishes are quickly growing in popularity, although the classic silver is still often requested. Colors and finishes mirror the trends for the faucet finishes as well. CLICK HERE to see all available finishes.
2. Can a Frameless Shower be Designed to be Leak Proof?
If a frameless shower door is designed and installed correctly by a licensed contractor, it should not leak. The only vulnerable (potential water leakage) area should be the door. All fixed glass panels are sealed at the base of the floor and along the sides with clear silicone sealant and should not leak. This is why it’s important to have your frameless shower doors customized to your bathroom, and not “standard square cut” as they sell in big box retailers.
Most water seepage issues stem from the door which requires a minimum clearance space of 1/4″ along the top, bottom, and opening side. However your consultant will explain ways to avoid any seepage.
3. What is a Frameless Glass Shower Transom?
A transom is a stationary or moveable piece of glass above a door or header that either fully encloses a shower or allows it to vent steam.
- Venting steam showers: Steam showers must run floor-to-ceiling for an airtight construction so steam can accumulate. Instead of bringing the door all the way to the ceiling, most steam showers are designed with movable transoms above the door. The glass transom then acts like a vent and can be tilted open to release hot steam or kept close to keep the steam in.
- Stabilizing tall floor-to-ceiling showers: Homeowners who want a floor-to-ceiling frameless shower may need a glass transom in their design. The need depends on ceiling height and weight limit of the shower door.
- Installing pivot doors: Pivot doors that don’t run floor-to-ceiling can mount to a header or a glass transom. Homeowners who would like to avoid the framed look of a header may find a solution by using a transom instead. We will help you get the best shower configuration for the look you want.
- You’ll want to make sure the door won’t be hampered by anything installed on the ceiling when it swings open. If an exhaust fan, vent or light fixture is placed in the path of the swinging door, a transom may be required to give the door clearance.
4. What is the Difference Between Low-Iron and Clear Glass?
Most older Frameless Glass Shower doors used a standard “Clear Glass”, which naturally has some iron in it, giving it a greenish tint. However, now we offer an option called Low Iron Extra Clear Glass which allows for a completely invisible, airy feel and lets the colors of your tile and marble stand out. We also offer a treatment option called ClearShield which makes your shower stain resistant and easier to clean (and even comes with a 10-year warranty).
5. What Is Tempered Shower Glass?
Tempered glass starts as normal glass then goes through a process of extreme heating and rapid cooling that makes it four to five times stronger than standard glass. Tempered Shower glass is the only glass permitted by law for bathroom shower installations. It is also referred to as “safety glass,” because instead of breaking into large, sharp shards, tempered glass shatters into small oval pebbles which greatly reduce the chance of serious cuts.
Tempered glass does not interfere with glass styles or choices and does not alter the look of clear, tinted or acid-etched glass patterns. Glass tempering is the last step in the glass fabrication process. After your custom glass panels are tempered at our manufacturer plant, your frameless shower is ready for installation.
It’s important that our clients understand basic properties of tempered glass to protect your frameless shower investment.
- Never attempt to cut or drill tempered glass as it will simply shatter.
- Extreme heat conditions such as fire will also cause tempered glass to shatter.
- Tempered glass does not protect glass clarity or prevent hard-water stains (factory or aftermarket glass protective treatments are recommended).
6. What Does “Plumb” and “Out of Plumb” Mean?
“Plumb” means that a surface is straight and even with no gaps (or “outages”). Plumb walls allow frames and glass panels to sit flush against surfaces and are therefore optimal for creating water-tight seals.
When surfaces are out of plumb or not level, there is a greater chance for water leakage through small openings between the wall and glass panel or shower frame. This can complicate the fabrication and installation process and potentially add to the cost and time of your project.
75% of bathroom walls we encounter are not plumb, which is why Frameless Glass Shower Doors need to be custom measured and cut. “Square Cut” standardized shower glass will never sit flush on a wall and will lead to leaks and water damage.
We use a six-foot (or longer) level to test the full-length of the wall. If the header for you framed or semi-frameless shower door will run up to the ceiling, we will check the ceiling too as well as the floor along the path where your sill will be affixed.
7. What if My Wall, Floor or Ceiling Isn’t Plumb?
75% of bathroom walls we encounter are not plumb. When your US GLASS sales consultant visits your house and takes measurements of the walls, they account for any walls that are not plumb. When we custom cut and design your Frameless Glass Shower Doors, they will specifically be designed to sit flush with your walls and prevent any leaks.
Walls that are not plumb can be classified as either Bowed or Bellied.
- Bow-shaped walls. Here we measure the glass to fit flush with the ends of the bow then seal the remaining gap in the middle using clear silicone caulking.
- Belly-shaped walls. Here we measure and fit for the tightest opening so the glass will set flush against the straightest part of the wall (usually along the middle). Gaps on the outer edges will then be sealed using clear silicone caulking.
8. How Long Will it Take to Manufacture My Shower?
Once you approve the estimate and we receive a 50% deposit, we will start to fabricate your glass shower doors immediately. Depending on the type of glass selected (i.e. low iron, regular, nano-fusion, or specialty glass), typical manufacture time is between 5 to 10 business days.
Since we do everything onsite, we are able to pass the time and money savings on to you.
9. What is a U-Channel?
There are different degrees of “framelessness” when it comes to designing your Glass Shower Door. A true frameless shower is installed with 2-inch metal clips fixed directly onto glass panels at minimal intervals. A “Semi-Frameless” option would include less expensive u-channels which are aluminum rails that fit over the entire edge of glass panels and secure glass panels to a floor, wall or ceiling. They do not provide a completely “Frameless” appearance.
10. What’s the Difference Between a Pivot Hinge Shower Door and a Side-Mount Hinge Shower Door?
A pivot shower door opens outward and has is secured at the top and bottom of the door to support its weight, and can be either framed or frameless. It’s this hinge type that allows a door revolving door to spin, while staying in place. This allows the door to swing 180 degrees in each direction. Pivot hinges that are center-mounted create a true revolving door.
A side-mount hinge is similar to the door hinges in your home. One side of the hinge is anchored on the side of a frameless glass door. The other side of the hinge is mounted to a wall or another glass panel.
A pivot hinge shower door can be less expensive, but not always. The versatility in which both hinges can be applied prevents labeling of these hardware products.
How one uses either hinge affects how much glass fabrication (cutting and notching) is necessary. And this is really what drives price.
11. What Brands do you work with?
We only work with the best products. We are able to assure the highest quality of our hardware and accessories by acquiring directly from CR Laurence, the leading single source manufacturer and supplier to the Glazing, Industrial, Construction, Architectural, Hardware and Automotive Industries.
All of our glasswork is done internally in our factories and workshops.